We the undersigned call upon the City of Chicago to enact the all-elected Civilian Police Accountability Council (CPAC). The Chicago Police Department (CPD) has a history of battery, unlawful arrest, racial profiling, torture, murder, and the use of force to suppress the democratic rights of the people to organize and protest. In order to end these racist practices, we must give the community control of the CPD through CPAC.
The CPAC will
- Be democratically elected by the residents of Chicago;
- Be made up only of members with at least 2 years of experience organizing to protect the rights of oppressed people and victims of police brutality;
- Appoint the superintendent of police, as well as members to the Police Board and the Chief Administrator for the Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA);
- Determine CPD’s annual budget;
- Review and sign off on all new and existing CPD policies;
- Investigate all police shootings and allegations of police torture;
- Negotiate and approve contracts with the police unions,
- Have the power to issue subpoenas to witnesses for CPAC hearings
We, the community, will have the final say in who polices us and how we’re policed.
Enact CPAC now!
Fill out the form below to sign the CPAC petition.
We will be sending these signatures for CPAC to your alderperson, so it is critical that we have your address info. If you know what ward you reside in, please enter it in the comments section.
Unsure of your ward? You can find your ward here: bit.ly/FindYourCPACWard